Military & Overseas Voter Registration

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA)
The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows military and overseas citizens to register and vote absentee. All military and overseas citizens must use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote and request a Vote-by-Mail ballot.

Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program for the FPCA or California Secretary of State for more information.

Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) Information

You must be one of the following to register to vote on the FPCA form:

  • A member of the armed services, stationed stateside or overseas
  • A spouse or dependent of a member of the armed forces
  • A citizen of the United States temporarily living outside of the United States
  • A US citizen who is permanently living overseas.
  • A citizen serving on a merchant vessel documented under the laws of the United States

The FPCA forms are available at, any Registrar of Voters office, with the Voting Assistance Officer of any military base, or at any American Consulate office.  You should apply for a Vote-by-Mail ballot in January of each year or at least 90 days before the specific election in which you wish to vote.  The Registrar of Voters office must receive the form no later than 15 days prior to an election or you will not be eligible to vote.

Permanent Absent Voter Status

The FPCA is also an application for permanent absent voter status; therefore you must notify the office when you have a mailing address change. You can do this by completing another FPCA form, calling our local office at (530) 225-5730, or emailing your new mailing address to

Receiving Your Ballot
Your ballot package will be mailed out 45 days prior to the election.

If you experience difficulty with mail delivery, or if the Registrar of Voters office did not receive your FPCA form in sufficient time to send you a ballot package, a ballot will be emailed to you upon request.

Please complete the 2nd Ballot Issue Form and return to Registrar of Voters Office to be issued a 2nd ballot; due to damage, error, non-receipt of original ballot.

Returning Your Ballot
You may submit your voted ballot by mail, or by fax if there is insufficient time to return it via mail. Since each voters mailing situation is different, it is up to you to know how long you need to return your ballot. The Registrar of Voters office must receive your ballot no later than 8:00pm pacific standard time (local time) on the day of the election for it to be counted.