The activities that take place during the official canvass include:
- Processing and counting any valid vote-by-mail and provisional ballots.
- Inspection of all polling site materials and supplies.
- A reconciliation of the number of signatures on the roster with the number of ballots recorded on the ballot statement.
- A reconciliation of the number of ballots counted, spoiled, canceled, or invalidated due to identifying marks or overvotes with the number of votes counted, including vote-by-mail and provisional ballots.
- Counting any valid write-in votes.
- Reproducing any damaged ballots, if necessary.
- Conducting a hand count of the ballots cast in one (1) percent of the precincts, chosen at random by the elections official.
- Reporting final results to the Secretary of State, as required.
For more information visit the California Secretary of State.