The following voters will be asked to put their ballot inside of a provisional envelope:
- Voters who have moved into a new precinct and have not updated their registration to the new address
- Voters whose names are not on the Roster where they go to vote
- Voters who have registered by mail, are voting for his/her first Federal Election in Shasta County, and did not provide a CA drivers license number or CA ID number when they registered
- Voters who return their Vote-by-Mail ballot to the polls without an envelope
- Voters who have applied to vote by mail, but do not have their ballot to turn in when they go to the polls
- Voters who register too late for their names to be printed on the Roster.
The California Secretary of State’s Web site explains more about the process for casting a provisional ballot.