Voter Registration – F.A.Q.

Who can register to vote?
You must be 18 years, or older (or you may pre-register if you are 17); You must be an American citizen; You must be a resident of the state of California. There is no specific time requirement to live in Shasta County to be considered a permanent resident.

Who cannot register to vote?
Anyone who does not meet the requirements for registration; anyone declared mentally incompetent; anyone currently in prison for a felony conviction; any non-US citizen residing in the United States.

How do I register to vote?

How Do I Register to Vote?
Registering to vote is available to all persons that meet the requirements. In Shasta County there are many agencies where you can register or get registration forms. If you need more information regarding the closest agency, or to obtain a form by mail, contact our office any weekday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, at (530) 225-5730.
You may also register to vote anytime you are applying for or renewing:

  • A California Driver License
  • A Shasta County Public Library Card
  • Benefits at State public assistance agencies
  • Services at agencies that provide services to disabled persons
  • Armed Forces Recruiting Offices
What are the Voter Registration Deadlines?
Voters must be registered at least fifteen (15) days before an election, to vote in that election.

What are the Voter Registration Deadlines by Mail?
Applications must be postmarked at least fifteen (15) days before an election, to vote in that election.

Are there deadlines at the Elections Department?
Applications which are delivered to the Elections Department at least fifteen (15) days in advance of the election satisfy the book closing deadline.

What information must be provided on the application for the registration application to be valid?
Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Residence Address (address where you live), California Driver’s License number OR the last four digits of Social Security number and signature. Also, the check boxes on the bottom of the application must be checked indicating that you are over 18 and a U.S. citizen; and not currently in prison for a felony.

How do I register if I do not have a permanent address?
Fill in your temporary physical address and notify the Elections Office when your address becomes permanent. If you no longer maintain or do not plan to have a permanent address in Shasta County, but intend to remain a resident of this county, (if for example you are serving in the military) you use your last residence address as your domicile, or address for voting purposes.

What happens if I do not make an entry in the party affiliation section of the application?
If you leave this section blank you will be registered without party affiliation as “non-partisan” or “declines to state a political party.” California’s Primary is currently “slightly ajar,” meaning that the political parties decide each Primary if they will allow “cross-over” voters. Only voters registered without a political party may cross-over if the parties allow it.

What if I cannot sign my name on the application?
Place your mark or an “X” in the signature box.

Do I have to register somewhere else for city elections?
No, there is one central voter roll in each county that is used for all city, county, state and national elections. You must live within the political boundaries of the city to vote in city elections.

What do I do if I have a change in Name, Address, or Party Affiliation?
Name changes, party changes and signature updates must be done on a California Voter Registration application.

I have moved recently; will my polling place change?
If your new address is in a different precinct you will have a new polling place. You MUST vote at your new precinct
and if you have not notified the Elections Department, you may have to vote a provisional ballot.

If I am already registered to vote in Shasta County, how do I change my address?
You can send in a written request that includes your signature.