Military & Overseas Voter Registration

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows military and overseas citizens to register and vote-by-mail. All military and overseas citizens must use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote.

Address Confirmation

Federal Post Card Application Requirements

You must be one of the following to register to vote on the FPCA form:

  • A member of the armed services, stationed stateside or overseas
  • A spouse or dependent of a member of the armed forces
  • A citizen of the United States temporarily living outside of the United States
  • A US citizen who is permanently living overseas.
  • A citizen serving on a merchant vessel documented under the laws of the United States
Federal Post Card Application

The FPCA forms are available at, any Elections office, with the Voting Assistance Officer of any military base, or at any American Consulate office.

It is recommended that you register to vote at least 90 days before the election in which you wish to vote.  The Elections office must receive the FPCA no later than 15 days prior to an election.

When you experience a name, residence address , or political party change complete another FPCA form.

Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program for the FPCA or California Secretary of State for more information.